Friday, May 17, 2013

Blogging: An exercise in brain rehabilitation

Have I mentioned I often dream of trains? Ellensburg Northern Pacific Depot,  2007. Photo by A. Miller.
If you have wondered what happened to this blog, I have been struggling the last few months with coherent writing and editing... a lingering side effect of what they refer to as "chemo brain," from my brush with breast cancer in 2010-2011.

Last summer I finally surrendered to it, and decided to take a break. I didn't intend to take this long of a break, however, but other distractions arose and the site looked to become a derelict historical artifact of its own.

But a few weeks ago, I realized something significant was missing from my life, and looking through this site's archive, I realized what it was. Writing. About history.

As with other therapies I've undertaken in the last few months, it seems that the best course of action with regard to writing is simply to keeping trying. I think an apt description is "A writer at rest tends to stay at rest."

What to expect from here on out? When my head is clear, you may see some lucid essays. When I'm feeling foggy, there will be days or weeks when I simply "show and tell" historic images and memorabilia.

So I hope you'll join me again in following my meandering train of thoughts on history in the Puget Sound region. It will be an interesting ride. 

No comments: