Thursday, April 5, 2012

Three views of Arlington, part one

What better place to start than with some images of my "hometown" of Arlington, Wash.

This first batch of postcard views shows Arlington in its earliest days at the turn of the 19th century. Arlington was incorporated as a town in 1903. At that time the main street in town was called Railroad Avenue, as the Northern Pacific Railroad line paralleled the street north/south (in all of these views, the tracks are on the left, outside of the frame).

Postmarked 1900.

Postmarked 1907.

No postmark. Probably 1910-1920.

Postmarked 1912.

Note in each of the views the location of the trees on the western side of the street, and the electric poles on the east side. From there you can probably estimate which cross streets are intersecting Railroad Avenue. Note also the hotel and drug store on the right side in the second and fourth images.


Editor's Note: I've split this topic into three parts, as I just discovered a cache of images I thought had disappeared forever! Please bear with me.

1 comment:

Ty and Racheal Cummings said...

I would love more information on the Hotel on Railroad Ave. I believe my husbands ancestors owned the hotel in the nineteen teens. t_rcummings@yahoo.com